Friday, April 15, 2011

Technology Topics: Copia, Where eBooks become weBooks

I know there are lots of Goodreads fans out there, but I wanted to spread the word about a similar lesser known platform called Copia. It is a social network for readers, but it also lets you organize your own digital library.


The thing I love most about Copia is the interactivity within the books we and our friends read. One of the reasons I haven't been fully sold on the idea of ebooks is my own personal interaction with the text. I'll admit it; I'm an annotator. I write in my books questions, ideas, and comments. I bookmark passages I love, and I go back to read my notes later to get an idea of what that book meant to me at that time in my life. Copia has found a way to encourage people like me who like to dialogue while reading. I think the designers said it best,

"Join the conversation inside every book.
When you write notes, highlight text and bookmark important pages, your friends can follow along and respond back. This makes Copia the only social platform that allows you to discuss your books while you read."


I see this as a great opportunity for educators to set up accounts with their students, so students can leave comments on the books assigned during the class.

When you join Copia, you can access your online dashboard and sync it with all of your devices from some smart phones to the ipad to your laptop.

It's the little things that make the transition from paperback to eBook a little less painful for me. What are the things you love and hate about ebooks?

1 comment: